Actor Leo Di Caprio has set up a racing team that will compete in the Formula-E championships next year.
Movie star Leonardo Di Caprio is entering the new Formula-E racing series. The actor has teamed up with Venturi Automotive to form Venturi Grand Prix Formula-E Team, the tenth and final outfit in the championship.
Di Caprio is a long-standing environmental activist. Commenting on his move into Formula-E, he said: “The future of our planet depends on our ability to embrace fuel-efficient, clean-energy vehicles.”
The star, known for his roles in blockbusters such as “Inception”, “Django Unchained” and the recent remake of “The Great Gatsby” is a staunch advocate of electric vehicle technology. He’s previously been papped in a Toyota Prius and now owns a Lexus hybrid, Tesla Roadster and Fisker Karma, a brand he has previously invested in prior to its financial complications earlier this year.
Venturi Automotive is an electric car manufacturer, based out of Monaco. The outfit already holds the world land speed record for an electric vehicle, with a top speed of 307mph. The team will be using the SP01 chassis, supplied by Spark Technology Consortium in the first season, but it is already making plans to use its Venturi VBB-3 in the second season.
The Formula-E series, which starts in September 2014, already features some high profile names. Last week, Richard Branson’s Virgin brand announced its entry. While all teams are still subject to FIA approval, the final line-up looks like this:
2014/2015 FIA Formula-E team line-up:
1. Drayson Racing Formula E Team (UK) 2. China Racing Formula E Team (China)
3. Andretti Autosport Formula E Team (USA)
4. Dragon Racing Formula E Team (USA)
5. e.dams Formula E Team (France)
6. Super Aguri Formula E Team (Japan)
7. Audi Sport ABT Formula E Team (Germany)
8. Mahindra Racing Formula E Team (India)
9. Virgin Racing Formula E Team (UK)
10. Venturi Grand Prix Formula E Team (Monaco)