The FIA has approved the official dates and locations for Formula-E. Beijing will play host to the first event for this inaugural all-electric street racing series. The championship will then head to South America, North America and onto Europe, before coming to London for the final round on June 27th 2015.
The exact dates are as follows:
- Round 1 - Beijing, China, 13th September 2014
- Round 2 - Putrajaya, Malaysia, 18th October 2014
- Round 3 - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 15th November 2014
- Round 4 - Punta del Este, Uruguay, 3th December 2014
- Round 5 - Buenos Aires, Argentina, 10th January 2015
- Round 6 - Los Angeles, USA, 14th February 2015
- Round 7 - Miami, USA , 14th March 2015
- Round 8 - Monte Carlo, Monaco, 9th May 2015
- Round 9 - Berlin, Germany, 30th May 2015
- Round 10 - London, UK, 27th June 2015
Practice, qualifying and the actual race will all take place on the same day. Ten teams with twenty drivers will participate in the hour-long races. Eight teams have already entered, including Audi Sport, Super Aguri and Mahindra Racing.
Each driver will have two cars per race and pit twice to change car, due to their limited driving range. The cars will hit FIA-limited top speeds of 139mph, making a quite futuristic sound in the process.
The racing series is building momentum, despite being received with mixed opinion. The FIA aims to promote sustainability and raise awareness of air quality in the cities involved. We’re still not sure how ‘green’ it really is but it has attracted the attention of respected racing veterans such as Alain Prost, Lord Drayson and Lucas Di Grassi.
If Sergio Perez is looking for somewhere to take his skills, he may wish to “go green and race blue”.