Technicolor’s MediaAccess TG233 is a 5GHz wireless access point and bridge combo capable of streaming up to four HD TV channels around the home.
The MediaAccess TG233 might not have a catchy name, but if you’re living in a shared house where everyone’s watching Netflix, shelling out for this might be a better than spooling lengths of cable around the home or waiting in frustration for a film to load.
The idea is that you’re setting up a wireless network specifically to carry video data. You connect the TG233 access point to your main router and then the TG233 client bridge to a set-top box, or whatever the receiving device is.
Packing 4×4 antennas (Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n), it promises a ‘smooth, flicker-free, wire-quality viewing experience’, whether you’re streaming HD video on your PC, laptop, Xbox 360, smart TV or whatever.
This 4×4 antenna set up ought to make for a ‘very low packet error rate in most customer scenarios’ according to Technicolor, which is pitching this at customers and businesses conscious of the growing bandwidth bottleneck.
In pure bandwidth, this promises up to 600Mbps if the TG233 takes advantage of every trick in the WiFi N specification, which is comfortably enough for multiple HD streams.
As BT recently pointed out, speeds coming into the home are set to jump, meaning the home network will have to become more sophisticated. Otherwise all of that new bandwidth will be essentially wasted. No word on price or availability yet, but we expect to hear more on this and similar devices soon. Full spec below:
Technicolour MediaAccess TG233 specifications
- Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11b/g/n access point
- 5GHz 4×4 with four internal antennas on-board
- WPA2 Personal
- Up to four BSSIDs (virtual AP) support
- Security and service segregation per SSID
- 1 MDI-X Ethernet LAN port
- 1 autosensing 10/100/1000 Base-T auto-MDI/
- TR-069 CPE WAN Management Protocol (CWMP)
- FCC Dynamic Frequency Selection (DFS) certified
- Low-Density Parity Check (LDPC) encoding
- Six STA Dynamic Digital Transmission (TX) beam forming
- Smart automatic channel selection (ACI/CCI mitigation)
- Support for up to four HD video/TV channels