All Sections

Catch 22: The last BDUK regional superfast broadband contracts

Last week there was much fanfare to accompany the signing of the West Sussex BDUK contract as it marked half time for the government’s superfast broadband plans. 

This doesn’t mean we’re out of the superslow woods yet – just because half of the contracts have been signed, doesn’t mean half the work is done.

As BT is the sole company remaining in the Broadband Delivery for the UK (BDUK) bidding race, it also means that one company is in the firing line to do all the work. Which means that BT, or rather, BT Openreach engineers, have got their work cut out for them. 

Catch 22: The last BDUK regional superfast broadband contracts
‘How many more connections?’ BT engineers are going to be pretty busy.

Here’s a list of the remaining regional contracts across the UK that have yet to be signed. As and when these are announced we’ll of course update our BT Broadband Rollout Updates and Fibre Broadband and BDUK features, as well as crossing off regions from this list.

Projects will disappear from this list as and when the final details of the project are revealed, and re-appear elsewhere on the site.

Coventry Solihull Warwickshire Superfast Broadband

Coverage: 90 per cent of Coventry, Solihull, Warwickshire with superfast speeds of at least 24Mbps and 10 per cent getting 2Mbps.

Estimate completion date: End of 2014/by 2015.

Site: www.cswbroadband.org.uk

Broadband for Oxfordshire

Coverage: No details announced yet but it’s expected that the standard – 90 per cent to get at least 24Mbps, 10 per cent to get at least 2Mbps – will be the goal.

Estimated completion date: TBA, expected to be the ‘by 2015’ standard.

Site: www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/cms/content/better-broadband-plan-oxfordshire

Northernlincs Broadband

Coverage: North and North East Lincolnshire will be covered by the Northernlincs Broadband project but right now there’s no word on percentages. It’s expected that 90 per cent will get at least 24Mbps with the last 10 per cent to get the remaining 2Mbps.

Estimated completion date: March 2015.

Site: www.nelincs.gov.uk/news/2012/mar/superfast-broadband-plans/

Superfast Berkshire

Coverage: to get 90 per cent of premises across all six Berkshire unitary authorities and the Thames Valley Berkshire Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) able to access superfast broadband (at least 24Mbps) and basic 2Mbps speeds to the last 10 per cent.

Estimated completion date: By 2015.

Site: www.superfastberkshire.org.uk

Superfast Worcestershire

Coverage: 90 per cent of Worcestershire homes and businesses will be able to access superfast speeds of at least 24Mbps, with those in the last 10 per cent able to get speeds of at least 2Mbps.

Estimated completion date: By 2015.

Site: www.worcestershire.gov.uk/cms/superfast-worcestershire.aspx

Broadband Leicestershire

Coverage: Eventually, 100 per cent of Leicestershire will be able to get superfast broadband, but for the interim, it’s expected that 90 per cent of locations across Leicestershire and the City of Leicester will be able to get superfast speeds of at least 24Mbps, with the outlying 10 per cent able to get a standard 2Mbps service.

Estimated completion date: 2015 for first phase, 2017 for second phase.

Site: http://www.leics.gov.uk/broadband

Superfast Broadband for Central Bedfordshire

Coverage: 90 per cent of properties across Central Bedfordshire, Bedford Borough and Milton Keynes to get superfast access (at least 24Mbps) and 10 per cent to get 2Mbps.

Estimated completion date: By 2015.

Site: www.centralbedfordshire.gov.uk/local-business/business-information-and-advice/broadband.aspx

Superfast Essex

Coverage: 90 per cent of premises across Essex, Southend-On-Sea and Thurrock to get superfast broadband (up to 24Mbps) and 10 per cent to get at least 2Mbps (and eventually up to 8Mbps).

Estimated completion date: By 2015, with universal speeds of 8Mbps to roll out by 2018.

Site: www.superfastessex.org/Home.aspx

Isle of Wight Local Broadband Plan

Coverage: 90 per cent of properties to get superfast broadband (at least 24Mbps) with 10 per cent to get at least 2Mbps, with a view to future proofing for island-wide upgrades, providing at least 30Mbps speeds in the future.

Estimated completion date: Phase one completed by 2015, phase two complete by 2020.

Site: www.iwight.com/Council/OtherServices/Superfast-Broadband/Open-Market-Review-OMR1

Go Digital Newcastle

Coverage: 90 per cent of properties in Newcastle will be able to access superfast broadband (up to 24Mbps) with those in the remaining 10 per cent able to get at least 2Mbps.

Estimated completion date: Phase one completed by 2015, phase two complete by 2020.

Site: godigitalnewcastle.co.uk/

Superfast Broadband Northern Ireland

Coverage: 90 per cent of superfast coverage has already been achieved in Northern Ireland. Details of extending this and providing faster speeds for the remaining 10 per cent have yet to be announced.

Estimated completion date: TBA

Site: nibroadband.com

Greater Manchester

Coverage: DCMS has yet to reveal details of its plans for Greater Manchester so we can’t say for certain what the coverage will be – it’s very likely that it will be the standard 90 per cent superfast (at least 24Mbps) with 10 per cent getting the basic 2Mbps.

Estimated completion date: TBA

Site: TBA

Comments