All Sections

Superfast broadband details emerge for Berkshire

Details of Superfast Berkshire’s plans have emerged, revealing the local not-spots and areas most in need of better broadband. 

At least 90 per cent of the county should be able to get speeds of at least 24Mbps, with the remaining 10 per cent guaranteed 2Mbps by 2015 under the Government’s BDUK (Broadband Delivery for the UK) plans.

Publication of the Superfast Berkshire consultation document gives us a better idea of which areas will likely see the most improvement.

Superfast broadband details emerge for Berkshire
Superfast Berkshire State Aid map – click to enlarge

Read Recombu Digital’s report on Fibre Broadband and BDUK

It’s been revealed that there are no commercial plans from providers such as BT and Virgin Media to roll out superfast in 46,933 locations across Berkshire over the next three years. A further breakdown of figures shows that most of these areas are located in West Berkshire, which is likely to benefit the most from Superfast Berkshire money.

Superfast Berkshire has produced a map (above) which shows us which areas (‘Basic White’) will be targeted as the primary ‘intervention areas’ for superfast broadband.

Areas marked as ‘Basic Grey’ are areas where there’s already at least one broadband provider providing a service which provides at least a 2Mbps service and ‘Basic Black’ is where there are two or more providers. As you can see, Reading and Slough along with other built up areas are already fairly well served.

Superfast Berkshire notes that where it’s not possible to deliver superfast broadband in these areas then we’ll see basic broadband (at least 2Mbps) instead, so it’s not guaranteed that these white areas will get superfast speeds.

It’s expected that the final invitation to tender will be announced by April 19, 2013 and that the full contract will be awarded by the end of July 2013.

Berkshire councils will be spending £1.43 million on the project while ‘gap funding’ will be required from whichever company wins the contract to take this up to £6 million.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *