All Sections

Superfast broadband by March 2015 deadline revealed for select Welsh towns

The government has revealed a list of Welsh towns and villages that are due to get superfast broadband by March 2015. 

Over 150 locations across Wales are due to be connected to superfast fibre-based broadband as part of the £425 million Superfast Cymru scheme, jointly funded by money from the government money and BT. 

So far, 100,000 homes and businesses have been connected to BT’s upgraded network as part of the Superfast Cymru project which will connect a total of 690,000 are due to be connected by the end of 2015. 

Superfast broadband by March 2015 deadline revealed for select Welsh towns
Blaenavon, Torfaen due to get superfast broadband anytime between now and March 2015

Superfast Cymru is set up to benefit mainly rural and hard to reach communities. So far it’s been difficult to get a grip on which locations would be getting superfast and when. While the list below reveals where BT’s engineers will be digging, it’s not yet known exactly when these communities will start to feel the fibre. 

Until we know more, the communities scheduled to get superfast by March 2015 are: 

Regions Communities
Caerphilly Cross Keys, Machen, Nelson, Rhymney, Risca, Senghenydd, Ynysddu
Cardiff Radyr
Carmarthenshire Amman Valley, Carmarthen, Hebron, Llanbydder, Maesycrugiau, Pencader, Pumpsaint, Upper Cwmtwrch, Velindre
Conwy Cerrigydrudion, Llanfairfechan
Ceredigion Aberaeron, Aeron, Aberporth, Borth, Bow Street, Bronant, Capel Bangor, Cardigan, Crosswood, Cwrtnewydd, Lampeter, Llanarth, Llandyssul, Llangybi, Llanilar, Llanon, Llechryd, Nebo, Newcastle Emlyn, New Quay, Ponterwyd, Ponthrydygroes, Pontrhydfendigaid, Pontshaen, Talybont, Tregaron
Denbighshire Bodfari, Bryneglwys, Cyffylliog, Denbigh, Dyserth, Glyndwr, Llanarmon-yn-Ial, Llandegla, Llandrillo, Llandyrnog, Llangollen, Llanynys, Maerdy, Rhuddlan, Ruthin, St Asaph, Trefnant
Flintshire Caerwys, Halkyn, Kinnerton, Llanferres
Gwynedd Bontddu, Ganllwyd, Tudweiliog
Neath Port Talbot Crynant, Cymmer, Glantawe, Glynneath, Pontardawe, Resolven, Seven Sisters, Skewen
Monmouthshire Gilwern, Magor, Nantyderry, Tredunnock Usk
Pembrokeshire Boncath, Crosswell, Crymych, Dinas Cross, Llwyndrain, Moylegrove, Newport
Powys Abercrave, Abermule, Berriew, Brecon, Builth Wells, Bwlch, Caersws, Carno, Castle Caereinion, Church Stoke, Crickhowell, Erwood, Forden, Guilsfield, Hay-on-Wye, Hundred House, Gladestry, Kerry, Kington, Knighton, Llanbrynmair, Llanfair Caereinion, Llandrindod Wells, Llangamarch Wells, Llangurig, Llanfrynach, Llanfyllin, Llangorse, Llanidloes, Llanymynech, Newtown, Llanrhaeadr, Llansantffraid, Llanwrtyd Wells, Merthyr Cynog, Montgomery, Newbridge-on-Wye, Penybont, New Radnor, Pennant, Presteigne, Rhayader, Sennybridge, Talgarth, Talybont-on-Usk, Trefeglwys, Tregynon, Trewern, Welshpool
Swansea Llangennith
Torfaen Blaenavon, Talywain
Wrexham Bangor-on-Dee, Chirk, Dutton Diffeth, Glyn Ceiriog, Hanmer, Overton-on-Dee, Redbrook Maelor, Rossett, Rhosllanerchrugog, Ruabon

BT will homes and businesses to either FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet) or FTTP (Fibre to the Premises) by BT. 
FTTC provides top download speeds of 80Mbps, but suffers from the same distance difference that ADSL does. FTTP, which is a full fibre optic connection, currently provides top download speeds of 330Mbps and tests have shown that BT’s full fat fibre lines can provide bandwidth of up to 10Gbps. 

Most places will likely received FTTC. Those who want to go faster will be able to upgrade the last mile of their connection with FTTP On Demand, a service which is for businesses only for the time being and will be beyond the wallets of most families anyway

BT will have connected 96 per cent of Wales to superfast broadband by 2016, with the remaining 4 per cent guaranteed speeds of at least 2Mbps provided by either bonded DSL lines or satellite connections. 

As part of an additional £10 million scheme, the Welsh Government is applying for more money which could potentially increase the 96 per cent footprint, pushing superfast even further out into the countryside. 

Image: Nick/Flickr


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *