Twin Peaks is finally returning in 2017 after a 25-year hiatus, with David Lynch and Kyle MacLachlan back on board. Here’s everything we know about Twin Peaks 2017, including the release date, how you can watch it, the main cast members and a spoiler-free summary of what the plot will entail.
What is Twin Peaks?
Twin Peaks is a twisted cult TV show following FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper, who ends up working a baffling murder case in the fictional town of the title. The hit show was created by David Lynch and Mark Frost and ran from the April 8, 1990 until the June 10, 1991. Two seasons were made, although a third season was rumoured for what seems like forever until Lynch finally managed to get the gears in motion.
Why all the fuss about the return of Twin Peaks?
Because a number of critics – and some members of the Recombu office – say it is one of the best television shows ever created. Twin Peaks was sadly marred by declining ratings at the time, but that has done nothing to stop it from becoming a cult classic. A film was also released in 1992 after the second season aired, called Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me. It’s utterly bonkers, just like the show itself.
What do we know about the Twin Peaks 2017 story?
Rather than remake the show, the new Twin Peaks picks up where the last season left off. A quick look at Mark Frost’s The Secret History of Twin Peaks provides some clues.
“Twenty-five years [after the investigation of the murder of Laura Palmer], the FBI gets hold of a box it won’t divulge the provenance of. In the box, a huge dossier.
“A female FBI agent is tasked to analyse all the documents inside, and everything related to the strange town of Twin Peaks. She also has to determine the identity of the person who compiled the dossier.
“Along the way, she discovers secrets about the lives of the town’s residents, but also investigative reports from Dale Cooper, newspaper clippings, an autopsy report, and other classified information.
“What happened since the death of the young woman? And why did an anonymous ‘archivist’ compile such a thorough dossier on Twin Peaks and its origins?” Cue intrigue and suspense.
Who is directing Twin Peaks 2017?
Although there was a minor blip, original director David Lynch will thankfully once again be at the helm. Showtime’s Sabrina S Sutherland will be an executive producer. David Lynch and Mark Frost wrote and executive produced the series.
Who is in the 2017 Twin Peaks season 3 cast?
There are 217 stars in the return of Twin Peaks, a full list of which was released way back in April 2016. Those familiar with the show will get a good mix of old and new faces, including Kyle MacLachlan as Special Agent Dale Cooper.
Here’s the main cast of season three of Twin Peaks.
- Mädchen Amick – Shelly Johnson
- Dana Ashbrook – Bobby Briggs
- Phoebe Augustine – Ronette Pulaski
- Richard Beymer – Ben Horne
- Scott Coffey
- Catherine E Coulson – The Log Lady
- Julee Cruise – Roadhouse Singer
- Jan D’Arcy – Sylvia Horne
- David Duchovny – Denise/Dennis Bryson
- Sherilyn Fenn – Audrey Horne
- Miguel Ferrer – Albert Rosenfield
- Warren Frost – Doctor William Hayward
- Harry Goaz – Deputy Andy Brennan
- Andrea Hays – Heidi
- Gary Hershberger – Mike Nelson
- Michael Horse – Deputy Tommy ‘Hawk’ Hill
- David Patrick Kelly – Jerry Horne
- Sheryl Lee – Laura Palmer/Maddy Ferguson
- Peggy Lipton – Norma Jennings
- Bellina Martin Logan – Louie ‘Birdsong’ Budway
- David Lynch – GORDON COLE
- Kyle MacLachlan – Special Agent Dale Cooper
- James Marshall – James Hurley
- Everett McGill – ‘Big’ Ed Hurley
- Walter Olkewicz – Jacques Renault
- Kimmy Robertson – Lucy Moran
- Wendy Robie – Nadine Hurley
- Marv Rosand – Cook at the Double R Diner
- Carlton Lee Russell – Jumping Man
- Harry Dean Stanton – Carl Rodd
- Charlotte Stewart – Betty Briggs
- Al Strobel – Philip Gerard/ ‘Mike’ The One-Armed Man
- Carel Struycken – The Giant
- Russ Tamblyn – Dr Lawrence Jacoby
- Ray Wise – Leland Palmer
- Alicia Witt – Gersten Hayward
- Grace Zabriskie – Sarah Palmer
How many episodes will there be?
The original estimate ranged between 9 and 18 episodes, depending on who you asked. It has since been confirmed by Sky that it will be an 18-parter. The season premiere will be a two-parter.
When is the Twin Peaks 2017 release date?
May 21 at 9pm is when Twin Peaks will return to our screens. However that’s American time, so us Brits will need to stay up until 2am on May 22. Not that much of a dedicated fan? Well, the good news is that Twin Peaks 2017’s first episode will be repeated on May 23 at the more sociable time of 9pm.
How can I watch Twin Peaks 2017?
Sky Atlantic will be airing the show here in the UK, which of course means you can watch it on Sky if you have that channel as part of your package. NowTV customers can also enjoy Twin Peaks 2017 here in the UK, with the right pass.
Is there a Twin Peaks 2017 trailer?
The 2017 season of Twin Peaks has been kept tight under wraps, so we don’t have much in the way of a trailer – just a teaser, which you can see below. However, you can also head to the Twin Peaks channel on YouTube for plenty of behind-the-scenes discussions with the main cast and crew.
How can I watch season 1 and season 2 of Twin Peaks?
It appears both the original Twin Peaks seasons are currently available on Now TV as well as Sky TV. You can also watch them on Video Motion, although the quality is less than stellar without a download. And that’s ignoring any legal implications.