All Sections

Wuaki.tv offline playback comes to iOS and Android

Wuaki.tv customers can now download movies and TV episodes to their iOS and Android devices for offline playback. 

Taking a cue from Amazon, which launched this feature for Prime Instant Video content earlier this month, Wuaki.tv has beaten streaming top dog Netflix to the punch by bringing this feature to its customers, who’ve apparently been clamouring for offline playback for some time. 

Wuaki.tv’s global product director, Sidharth Jayant said: “We constantly listen to our customers and use their feedback to improve and enhance our platform and service. 

Related: Wuaki.tv aims to make a Killing with Nordic Noir Arrow Films deal, takes your money via PayPal and works with Chromecast“Accessibility and convenience are vital and thanks to our dedicated product and technology team, we are delighted to offer this cutting-edge functionality which offers users the freedom to enjoy their favourite movies and shows at the time and location which suits them best.” 
 
Unlike Prime Instant Video and Netflix, Wuaki.tv operates on a pay-per-view basis. Movies and whole seasons of TV shows are available to rent or buy in SD and HD with prices starting at £1.49 per movie and £7.99 per series – although on average, most prices weigh in at £3.49 and £13.99 respectively. 

From launch, 90 per cent of Wuaki.tv titles will be available for ‘Download’ in addition to the standard ‘Watch Now’ option. It’s currently unclear when or even if the other 10 per cent of titles will hit the service. 

All Apple devices running iOS 7 or higher will be able to make use of the new feature today; check the iTunes App Store for updates now. Minimum requirements for Android devices have not been disclosed by Wuaki.tv, but it has made a list of compatible devices available and says more phones and tablets will be supported in the future. 

  • Hudl 2
  • Nexus 4
  • Nexus 5
  • Nexus 6
  • Nexus 7
  • Nexus 10
  • Moto G
  • Moto X 2014
  • Samsung Galaxy S3
  • Samsung Galaxy S4
  • Samsung Galaxy S4 mini
  • Samsung Galaxy S5
  • LG G2
  • LG G3
  • Sony Xperia Z1
  • Sony Xperia Z2
  • Sony Xperia Z3
  • Sony Xperia T3
  • OnePlus One

The real fly in the Wuaki ointment for us however remains – ‘bought’ purchases are only available for up to three years. While a lot of content doesn’t necessarily have great replay value and it’s possible that you won’t want to watch True Detective Season 2 in 2018, we’re not that happy that something is branded as a ‘purchase’ when it’s actually a long-term loan. 

Comments