It’s now possible to unlock a US iPhone 4S without making any software or hardware adjustments.
An article on Paste.com reportedly details a method of unlocking an AT&T iPhone 4S by swapping sim cards and performing some fairly simple steps.
- Insert original carrier AT&T SIM card
- Dial 611 for AT&T customer service hotline and drop the call
- Turn on Airplane Mode
- Take out AT&T SIM card
- Insert T-Mobile SIM card
- Make sure WiFi is off ( also tap on ‘Forget this Network” to make sure it doesn’t connect automatically later)
- Switch off Airplane Mode and iPhone will search for network. This is followed by the Apple splash screen appearing.
- Activation Required will be displayed on the screen
- EDGE network will activate automatically – notice the ‘E’ on the top left corner of the screen
- Wait for about 20-30 seconds and turn off the phone
- Turn on iPhone and the same Activation Required screen will be displayed
- When you see one signal bar, tap on Use Cellular Connection
- Eject SIM card
- Activation Required screen will be displayed the second time
- Insert SIM card
It apparently only works on iPhone that are locked to the US network AT&T, although it works on all the current models of Apple’s handset: iPhone 4S, iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS.
It certainly seems like a very simple way to unlock and iPhone – and certainly is preferable to paying someone to unlock it for you. Although if you do try this, it’s worth checking the terms of your contract to see if you invalidate your warranty.
Are you based in the US? Have you tried this? Let us know below.