LG launched its G2 flagship phone in Korea last week, and now it’s unveiled the G2 Mini, which at 4.7-inches is about as miniature as Africa
Okay, so phones these days are pretty monstrous, with most flagships topping 5-inches, but LG’s compact version of its LG G2 flagship phone is taking the mick a bit. The original LG G2 was a meaty 5.2-incher, and the freshly launched LG G2 Mini is still pretty beefy at 4.7-inches.
It may be (a tiny bit) smaller, but the LG G2 Mini looks similar to its bigger bro, rocking the same rear power button. At 121g it’s lost a chunk of weight (the LG G2 was 143g), although it’s actually chunkier at 9.8mm. You get a range of colours this time: Titan Black (ooh), Lunar White, Red and Gold.
Most of the LG G2’s features will also translate over to the LG G2 Mini, including Guest Mode (allows someone to use your phone without messing up your profile etc) and Plug & Pop, which brings up a row of media-based apps when you plug in some headphones.
Specs-wise, the LG G2 Mini sadly hasn’t taken its cue from Sony, who managed to cram many of the same components from its Xperia Z1 into its dinky Xperia Z1 Compact. Rather, the G2 Mini settles for a 1.2GHz quad-core SnapDragon 600 processor (the original had a powerful 2.2GHz SnapDragon 800), and an 8-megapixel camera downgraded from the original 13-megapixel snapper.
That 4.7-inch screen is just qHD rather than Full HD, so kiss goodbye to the gorgeous 1080p display of the LG G2 – a real shame, as it’s one of our favourite parts of the original mobile.
The LG G2 runs Android 4.4 KitKat, and has 8GB of storage to fill up with apps and whatnot – expandable via microSD. There’s a 4G LTE model that also comes with NFC, or you can opt for a simple 3G version instead.
The LG G2 Mini is rolling out in March, and we’ll bring you a full hands-on review at MWC 2014 next week.
Full LG G2 specs:
– Chipset: 1.2 GHz Qualcomm Quad-Core MSM8926 (LTE), MSM8226 (3G)
1.7GHz NvidiaQuad-Core Tegra4i (LATAM LTE version)
– Display: 4.7-inch qHD IPS (960 x 540)
– Memory: 8GB eMMC / 1GB RAM / SD Card Slot
– Camera: Rear 8.0MP / 13.0MP(LATAMLTEversion) /Front 1.3MP
– Battery: 2,440mAh (removable)
– Operating System: Android 4.4 KitKat
– Size: 129.6 x 66.0 x 9.8mm
– Network: Cat. 4 & VoLTE / Cat. 3(LATAM), HSPA+ 21Mbps (3G)
– Connectivity:Bluetooth 4.0, WiFi (802.11 b/g/n), A-GPS,NFC(only applicable to 4G LTE version)
– Colors: Titan Black, Lunar White, Red, Gold (availability differs by region)
– Other: Plug & Pop, Guest Mode, Clip Tray, Quick Window,etc.