After months of speculation Samsung has finally confirmed the successor to the Samsung Galaxy S2 will be the Samsung Galaxy S3 (or SIII).
The announcement was made at the Samsung Unpacked event at Earls Court in London hosted by Suzi Perry, where the news was revealed to the worlds press and Samsung fans.
Key features include a quad-core Exynos Samsung processor and 4.8-inch HD screen. Like the Samsung Galaxy S2, the phone has a plastic build, it looks a little like a Samsung Galaxy Nexus crossed with an HTC One X with sharper edges and a fine flush fascia, but it comes in white and blue.
It will launch with Ice Cream Sandwich overlayed with Samsung’s TouchWiz UI.
There are rumours the Samsung Galaxy S3 was set to be announced at Mobile World Congress, but Samsung delayed the release to build momentum and avoid the S3 being overshadowed by the host of phones announced there.
Andy Griffiths from Samsung UK and Ireland said: “Our aim with the Galaxy S III was to develop the best smartphone ever made, and by focusing on creating a unique user experience through superior hardware and enhanced usability we believe we have done just that. The device has been created by keeping in mind our daily needs and capabilities as human beings.’
Samsung Galaxy S3 specs
- Screen: 4.8-inch Super AMOLED with 720p HD resolution
- OS: Android 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich
- Camera: 8-Megapixel with on-board HDR/1.9-Megapixel front camera
- Processor: 1.4GHz quad Exynos
- Memory: 16GB or 32GB on board, expandable via microSD
- Connectivity: 3G, 4G (depending on market), NFC, Bluetooth 4.0
- Audio formats:
- Video formats: Codec: MPEG4, H.264, H.263, DivX, DivX3.11, VC-1, VP8, WMV7/8, Sorenson Spark
- Dimensions/weight: 136.6 x 70.6 x 8.6mm/133g
Samsung Galaxy S3 UK launch
The Samsung Galaxy S III will be available on May 30th in the UK from the Samsung Brand Store at Westfield Stratford City and all other retailers.