As promised Sony Ericcson has released its Xperia Play handset onto the tech journo hordes of MWC. Here is what we have learned so far:
1. The handset is to feature a 1Ghz Snapdragon processor and embedded Adreno GPU making it a formidable gaming force capable of running 60fps graphics. You should manage 5 hours of gameplay from one charge.
2. The Xperia Play will come with a four-inch touchscreen display running at 480 x 854 resolution.
3. The slide-out game pad includes dual analogue sticks and a d-pad which will make up the bulk of the PlayStation controller element, with additional shoulder pads on the top of the phone for proper gaming controls.
4. Gingerbread or Android 2.3 is buried beneath the phone’s hood keeping things chugging along speedily.
5. A five-megapixel camera is on the back.
6. Sony is going to create a ‘PlayStation ceritfied’ license for handsets that can run the modified PlayStation games. The Xperia Play will be the first to have it, but it is not a Sony Ericcson exclusive so expect to see more handsets from different manufactures playing the games.
7. Games confirmed so far are: Need for Speed, The Sims 3, Assassin’s Creed, Guitar Hero and Splinter Cell.
8. Storage will come in the form of 400MB of internal memory, with an 8GB microSD card in the box.
9. The handset will come in Black or White.
10. Networks confirmed: all of them!